Mar 15, 2011

You've heard of Julie & Julia, right?

Ever thought about starting a  Julie & Julia type project?  You're not alone. I've played with the idea too. I read the book and loved  the movie. I've also looked at the blog. What fascinates me most is the undertaking and follow-thru. The task of putting one foot in front of the other and doing something completely. Just because you want to. You want the challenge or a hundred other things. And the process is the way.
OK. For me, nothing quite so big as the Julia Child endeavor, cause I'm a weenie cook. I can barely deal with a bloody steak. But the task of cooking through a cookbook fascinates me. To KNOW every recipe. Cookbook intimacy.



Baking also intrigues me. I've talked about a weekly baking day. I'd like my kids to have a few memories (just a few!) of coming home to fresh baked cookies or bread. Just a few. I remember coming home to the smell of fresh baked bread and cinnamon rolls.  Magnificent! And the deal is, my time is running out. One child is a senior, the other a junior. Soon they won't be coming home from school, at least not on a daily basis.
So, with those two thoughts in mind (#1-cooking all the way thru a cookbook and #2-baking for my family) I've decided to start a new project: Cooking thru a small bread baking book that's been sitting in my cookbook closet (time to come out of the closet).
I could call it The Mary and Linda Project, as the book is flavored breads by Linda Collister.  But that seems just a bit presumptuous.  I think I'll just do it and see what happens. Count it down maybe?  There are only 14 recipies (big smile!).




So, here goes. Today I'm baking  bacon and walnut fougasse, a mediterranean bread. I can't go wrong 'cause it's got BACON & WALNUTS in it for goodness sakes.  "These attractive, oval individual loaves come from Provence where .... ".
I've been to Provence. I liked Provence. Will Provence like me?
Now for the gorgeous photos that all food blogs seem to have.....dot dot dot.

No comments:

Post a Comment